Rachel is an associate in the Wills & Probate team. She specialises in the preparation of wills
, Inheritance tax advice, creation and administration of trusts,
applications to the Court of Protection, lasting powers of attorney and the administration of estates after death
. She also provides advice to co-habitees on the joint ownership of property and advice on compensation protection for personal injury clients.
Rachel is a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners which is the professional body for the trust and estate profession. She passed their Diploma in trusts and estates in 2006. She is currently studying for the ILM level 3 diploma in management.
- Acted for the estate of a deceased farmer in and successfully negotiated with the head of litigation at H M Revenue and Customs to obtain favourable inheritance tax treatment for the farmhouse and farmland.
- Advised two families with regard to the inheritance tax treatment of the complex “double trust” tax saving scheme.
- Acted for the executors who administered the estate of a deceased Sheffield businessman. The deceased had a complex family situation and a dispute between the beneficiaries as to how the estate should be administered.
- Acted in the administration of an estate for a lady who died alone and with no close family to make the arrangements. I dealt with everything, from registering the death and arranging the funeral to identifying her assets and collecting them in. I also successfully negotiated with the DWP over the amount of pension credit the lady had received and the estate gained over £1,000 in back payments as a result.
- Acted in connection with a child who was brain-damaged at birth and who received over £1 million in compensation. I advised the child’s family in connection with a Court of Protection application so that a professional deputy was appointed to oversee the money for the child.