Speak to us on 0114 266 6660
Wake Smith Twitter
Wake Smith Linked In
Wake Smith Facebook

Unmarried Couples, Cohabitation Agreements and Declaration of Trusts

Cohabitation is more common than marriage, however, the law relating to couples who cohabit is more complex and has not kept up with the modern age.

The majority of law relating to couples who live together is governed by old property trust law. There have over the last decade been various attempts by the Governments and then legal community to bring about change for couples who cohabit. However, none have to date been successful in simplifying the legal rights and process.

It is therefore very important that if you are considering living together, that you obtain the right advice. As the outcome if you separate may be very different to what you expect.

Whether you are considering moving in with someone or buying a house together, it is important that you set out, at the outset your intentions should you separate years later.

If you own your own home and your partner is thinking of moving in with you, you need to know how to protect the equity you have in your home.

If you are thinking of moving in with someone or giving them money towards renovations on their home, how do you ensure you are establishing a right to own part of the property? If you are buying a house together, what if one of you has savings or sale proceeds from a former home which you wish to protect if you separate? All of these questions are common and understandable, but if you do not define your interests at the outset, the legal outcome could be far different from what you thought would be the case.

If you buy a house together and you put in unequal contributions to the purchase price, unless you set out your individual shares and what your intentions are if the house is sold, then it is presumed in law that you intended to own the property jointly in equal shares. Therefore the deposit provided from savings or a gift from a parent would be lost and shared between you and your partner. You would be unable to recover the money which you put into the property fairly.

If you move into your partner’s home and pay for decoration of the property no matter how lavish, unless you undertake significant renovations such as installing new kitchen or bathroom, you may not be considered to have an interest in the home.

If you intend to pay half the mortgage, this does not mean that you establish an interest in the property, unless this is formalised by an agreement in writing. It does not matter how long you live together, there is no such thing as a common law wife or husband. If you are the owner of a house and are concerned that your new partner may try and establish an interest then you can enter into an agreement that by living together your cohabitee does not establish any legal or beneficial interest in your home.

The law relating to cohabiting couples is complex, the costs of making an application under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996 are high. The average case will be at least £5000 and because the law relating to cohabitation is in Civil Court and not Family Court. If you lose your case you will not only have to pay your own legal costs but those of the opposition. The risks of pursuing an application are therefore high. Our solicitors are used to negotiating the difficulties which stem from the breakdown of a cohabiting relationship. We know what issues arise and are experienced in drafting agreements which clearly set out what will happen when a couple separates, lessening the worry and allowing the couple to enjoy living together, without uncertainty.

Family Team

Lindsey Canning

Alison Gaddes

Victoria Walker
Family Law Executive

Our Clients Say

Please click on any of the links below to see our client’s testimonials.

Helen Machin
Gary B
Mr S from Derbyshire

"Alison Gaddes has handled my divorce efficiently and professionally whilst being sensitive to what has been a difficult time for me. She has explained all aspects of the legalities and kept me fully updated on the developments of my case at all times. I would have no hesitation in recommending her to anyone seeking legal representation."

Helen Machin

Useful Info

Click on the links to the right for more useful information:

News & Events

We constantly post the latest news on the legal sector covering a wide range of topical issues and subjects

These articles provide useful and updated information on different sectors of the legal industry. 

Sign up for our free monthly e-newsletter. Please register your details below to receive the latest legal news and developments.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

We will not share your details with any third party organisations.

Contact Us

Get expert legal advice from one of Sheffield’s most respected law firms, Wake Smith Solicitors.

Our team of friendly, professional solicitors can provide support and advice in a wide range of areas for you and your business. Call our Solicitors in Sheffield on 0114 266 6660 or fill out the simple form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible. 

For all media enquiries, please contact Abby Worsnip or Billy Greenhalgh at www.agentpr.co.uk

* Indicates required field

First Name:*
Practice Area:*
Brief description of your enquiry:*

Please enter your first name.

Please enter your surname.

Please enter your address.

Please enter your contact telephone number.

Please enter your e-mail address.

Please enter a valid e-mail address.

Please enter what method you wish to be contacted via.

Please select what practice area you are interested in.

Please enter your enquiry.

Please check the box to confirm you are not a robot.

The form has been successfully submited. Thank you for your enquiry.


We're Here...

Office Hours:
Monday to Friday
8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.

Sheffield Head Office - City Centre
No1 Velocity
2 Tenter Street
S1 4BY
Tel: 0114 266 6660
Fax: 0114 267 1253
Click here to find us on Google Maps »

DX: 10534 Sheffield 1


Car park

There is a large public carpark operated by Q-Park underneath our office building, the entrance to which is located on Solly St.

Disabled Facilities

If you have any special requirements relating to accessibility or disabled facilities please contact John Liversidge on 0114 224 2075 or at john.liversidge@wake-smith.com