Speak to us on 0114 266 6660
Send us an Email Enquiry
Wake Smith Twitter
Wake Smith Linked In
Wake Smith Facebook

Separation Agreements

We understand that when relationships break down you may not always want to get divorced straightaway or if you are cohabiting you may want to formalise your separation.

For married couples there can be a number of reasons, you may not agree with divorce for religious reasons, you have not been married for more than 12 months or you would prefer to wait 2 years and not cite behaviour in order to issue divorce proceedings on the grounds of two years separation with the other’s consent. You may think it is too soon to make a final decision about your relationship breakdown and want to set out an arrangement in the meantime, until you or your partner decide that you both want to proceed with a divorce.

Whatever your reasons, our expert family solicitors can help you make decisions best for you and set out what should happen when divorce proceedings are issued.

A Separation Agreement does not only set out financial responsibilities, it can also include what arrangements have been agreed for you both to spend time with your children.

However, although a separation agreement is persuasive to a court, the agreement is not binding on the court if there have been substantial changes to your circumstances when you finally issue the divorce proceedings and ones the court cannot ignore such as change in personal or financial circumstances. .

In addition separation agreements cannot make provision for a pension sharing order. So if you are close to pension age, a separation agreement may not be suitable depending on your personal circumstances.

In order for a separation agreement to be persuasive to a court on divorce, the agreement must fulfill certain criteria:

  1. Both parties must have obtained legal advice at the time of preparing the agreement; and
  2. Both parties must have disclosed to one another a full account of their financial positions (known and full and frank financial disclosure).

If you are not married, you can also enter into a separation agreement which sets out your obligations financially to one another or to children of the family. If you own a joint property, you may have decided to sell the property and what you decide about what will happen to the net proceeds of sale can be included within an agreement. If you have decided to retain the jointly owned property and one of you is to continue to live in the property, possibly to provide a home for the children, then a separation agreement or deed can set out who is responsible for paying the mortgage, insurance and outgoings and who is responsible for general and structural repairs. The agreement can also on separation set out the arrangements for the children and their financial support.

Family Team

Lindsey Canning

Deborah Marsh
Associate & Collaborative Lawyer

Victoria Walker
Family Law Executive

Our Clients Say

Please click on any of the links below to see our client’s testimonials.

Helen Machin
Pushpita Mukherjee
Jenny Dodsworth
Gary B
Sandra Osborne

"Alison Gaddes has handled my divorce efficiently and professionally whilst being sensitive to what has been a difficult time for me. She has explained all aspects of the legalities and kept me fully updated on the developments of my case at all times. I would have no hesitation in recommending her to anyone seeking legal representation."

Helen Machin

Useful Info

Click on the links to the right for more useful information:

News & Events

We constantly post the latest news on the legal sector covering a wide range of topical issues and subjects

These articles provide useful and updated information on different sectors of the legal industry. 

Sign up for our free monthly e-newsletter. Please register your details below to receive the latest legal news and developments.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

We will not share your details with any third party organisations.

Contact Us

Get expert legal advice from one of Sheffield’s most respected law firms, Wake Smith Solicitors.

Our team of friendly, professional solicitors in Sheffield can provide support and advice in a wide range of areas for you and your business. Call our Sheffield Solicitors on 0114 266 6660 or fill out the simple form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible. 

For all media enquiries, please contact Abby Worsnip or Billy Greenhalgh at www.agentpr.co.uk.

Important – Please read our privacy notice for more information on how we use your data.

* Indicates required field

First Name:*
Practice Area:*
Brief description of your enquiry:*

Please enter your first name.

Please enter your surname.

Please enter your address.

Please enter your contact telephone number.

Please enter your e-mail address.

Please enter a valid e-mail address.

Please enter what method you wish to be contacted via.

Please select what practice area you are interested in.

Please enter your enquiry.

Please check the box to confirm you are not a robot.

The form has been successfully submited. Thank you for your enquiry.


We're Here...

Office Hours:
Monday to Friday
8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.

Sheffield Head Office - City Centre
No1 Velocity
2 Tenter Street
S1 4BY
Tel: 0114 266 6660
Fax: 0114 267 1253
Click here to find us on Google Maps »

DX: 10534 Sheffield 1


Car park

There is a large public carpark operated by NCP underneath our office building, the entrance to which is located on Solly St.

Disabled Facilities

If you have any special requirements relating to accessibility or disabled facilities please contact John Liversidge on 0114 224 2075 or at john.liversidge@wake-smith.com