My mum is struggling to manage her affairs – Can I help?

Jennifer Robinson Jennifer Robinson 22 February 2021

“My mum is struggling to manage her affairs, what can I do to help?” This is a query we have regularly received in the past few months and the answer is not straight forward.

Jennifer Robinson, paralegal in the private client team at Wake Smith offers advice.

In order to help manage someone’s affairs, you must have authority – this may be from the person themselves or the Court of Protection.

There are different ways you can manage a person’s affairs and this depends primarily on the circumstances of the person who’s affairs you want to manage and whether they have mental capacity.

The term mental capacity is used to refer to a person’s ability to make a decision about a particular matter at the time the decision needs to be made. To make a decision you must be able to consider the relevant information, evaluate the different options, and make a choice. There must also be an intention to make that decision, shown by understanding the nature of the action you are taking and the consequence of taking such actions.

Powers of Attorney

A Power of Attorney (PoA) is a legal document whereby a donor can appoint an attorney to make decisions on their behalf. A PoA gives the attorney permission to deal with third parties on the donor’s behalf. The donor must have capacity at the time they make the PoA.

There are different types of PoA but for the benefit of this article, we will focus on Lasting Powers of Attorney (LPA).

There are two types of LPA – Property and Financial Affairs LPA and Health and Welfare LPA. A donor can make just one type of LPA, or both types if they wish.

Both types of LPA must be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian before the attorney can make decisions on behalf of the donor. This is to safeguard the donor from any potential abuse.  An attorney who does not act in the best interest of the donor can be investigated.

A Health & Welfare LPA cannot be used unless the donor loses mental capacity. However a Property & Financial Affairs LPA can be used as soon as it has been registered, as well as when the donor loses mental capacity. This flexibility is desirable as it allows the donor to plan ahead and appoint someone to look after their affairs for a long period of time.


When a person becomes incapable of dealing with their own affairs as a result of incapacity, they are unable to make a Lasting Power of Attorney. As a result, the Court of Protection will need to be involved.

The Court of Protection is a specialist court which looks after individuals who lack capacity to make a decisions for themselves.

The court makes decisions for these individuals or can appoint someone to manage the individual’s affairs. There are two areas of decision making - management of a person’s property and affairs, and making decisions in relation to a person’s health and welfare.

If someone wants to manage someone’s affairs, they need to apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed as a Deputy.  A deputy is usually a relative, friend or carer of the person. If there are no suitable or willing friends or family members to act as Deputy, a professional such as a solicitor can be appointed.

To discuss further with a member of our private client team, please call us on 0114 266 6660.



March 20212February 20218January 20219December 20208November 202014October 20209September 20208August 20203July 20208June 202016May 202013April 20209March 202016February 20209January 202012December 20199November 20199October 201911September 20197August 20194July 20196May 20198April 20196March 20193February 20195January 20194December 20186November 20185October 20183September 20185August 20184July 20189June 20184May 201810April 20185March 20184February 20184January 20183December 20175November 20178October 20177September 20179August 20175July 20176June 201710May 20176April 20178March 201711February 20177January 201713December 20169November 20167October 201610September 201611August 20166July 20167June 20163May 20162April 20166March 20162February 20164January 20165December 20153November 20155October 20156September 20156August 20157July 20157June 20157May 20156April 201510March 20156February 201510January 20156December 20145November 20144October 20142September 20143May 20144March 20146February 20144January 20142December 20132November 20133September 20134July 20132June 20132May 20133April 20131March 20133February 20133January 20136December 20121November 20123October 20122August 20122July 20128June 20123April 20123March 20121January 20124December 20112November 20111October 20112September 20113August 20113July 20117June 20119May 20117April 20115March 20119February 20118January 20111December 20101October 20102September 20102August 20103July 20106June 20101May 20102April 20106March 20102February 20103January 20102December 20095November 20092October 20092September 20092August 20091July 20095June 20095May 20093April 20093March 20093February 20091January 20092November 20082October 20082September 20081August 20083July 20081January 20082

Featured Articles

Contact us