Co-parenting during the Coronavirus outbreak

Lindsey Canning Lindsey Canning 27 March 2020

With non-essential travel, social distancing, self-isolation and school closures enforced across the UK, how best can you manage co-parenting during the coronavirus outbreak?

Lindsey Canning, head of Family Law at Wake Smith Solicitors looks at the issue.

Can I just keep the children with me during this time?

This is not a straightforward answer. Where there are child arrangement orders in place regulating where the children will live and whom they will spend time, these orders remain in effect and there are consequences for breaching them.

Children’s welfare is court’s primary concern about contact and living arrangements. Parents should bear this in mind when it comes to contact arrangements and agreeing any temporary changes.

These times should not be an excuse to change parenting arrangements.

If you have queires about a court order, then ask your legal representative for help.

Is it acceptable to drive short distance between ex-partner’s homes with the children?

Acting responsibly for your children means you should abide by the rules on staying at home and staying away from others, issued by the Government on 23 March 2020.

It is no longer permitted for a person, including a child, to be outside their home for any purpose other than essential shopping, daily exercise, medical needs or attending essential work. Where parents do not live in the same household, children under 18 can be moved between their parents’ home.  This is an exception to the mandatory stay at home requirement.

Ex-partners should make the decision whether to continue to move the children between homes based on present health, the risk of infection and the presence of any recognised vulnerable individuals in one household or the other. If you need to stop, use Face-Time, Whatsapp, Zoom, Skype, and the telephone to make contact.

What about drop-offs and pick-ups?

Many child arrangement orders stipulate how handovers should take place, but parents do need to communicate on practical arrangements at this time. 

For example, if handovers are to take place in a public place, consider trying to agree to another location, such as one of the parent’s homes.  If handovers are typically achieved by dropping off and collecting children from school, think about a temporary measure that facilitates both parent’s work patterns.

What about where estranged parents live long distances apart and usually drive to drop off the children for periods of time?

Where parents do not live in the same household, children under 18 can be moved between their parents' homes. However, one grey area is where your partner is not the child’s mother/father as this would not constitute essential travel. Ex-partners should try to agree on arrangements, and court applications should be the last, not the first, resort.

What if one parent tests positive for Coronavirus?

Even if a child arrangement order exists, if a parent tests positive for Coronavirus, it is best for the health of the child not to see that parent during the 14-day self-isolation stage.

The government’s current advice is that those who are living with someone who has coronavirus should self isolate for 14 days from the day the first person in the home started having symptoms.  This may mean that you breach an order, however this would be the sensible way forward. Talk to your ex-partner about this.

I have lost my job so am worried about being able to pay child maintenance or spousal maintenance?

Communicate and be transparent with your ex-partner. If they are unaware of your situation and you don’t pay they could contact the Child Maintenance Service for assistance which can create extra, unwanted tension. Show any paperwork you have to explain the situation.

The Government has unveiled a host of measures to help people who have lost their jobs at this time. If in doubt visit for further details.

Lindsey added: “This pandemic has meant we all have all had to look at how we manage our daily lives and putting children into this equation can be extremely stressful.

“If you have any queries on your arrangements, please seek professional legal advice as a starting point.”

For further advice please contact Lindsey Canning at lindsey.c[email protected] 



March 20212February 20218January 20219December 20208November 202014October 20209September 20208August 20203July 20208June 202016May 202013April 20209March 202016February 20209January 202012December 20199November 20199October 201911September 20197August 20194July 20196May 20198April 20196March 20193February 20195January 20194December 20186November 20185October 20183September 20185August 20184July 20189June 20184May 201810April 20185March 20184February 20184January 20183December 20175November 20178October 20177September 20179August 20175July 20176June 201710May 20176April 20178March 201711February 20177January 201713December 20169November 20167October 201610September 201611August 20166July 20167June 20163May 20162April 20166March 20162February 20164January 20165December 20153November 20155October 20156September 20156August 20157July 20157June 20157May 20156April 201510March 20156February 201510January 20156December 20145November 20144October 20142September 20143May 20144March 20146February 20144January 20142December 20132November 20133September 20134July 20132June 20132May 20133April 20131March 20133February 20133January 20136December 20121November 20123October 20122August 20122July 20128June 20123April 20123March 20121January 20124December 20112November 20111October 20112September 20113August 20113July 20117June 20119May 20117April 20115March 20119February 20118January 20111December 20101October 20102September 20102August 20103July 20106June 20101May 20102April 20106March 20102February 20103January 20102December 20095November 20092October 20092September 20092August 20091July 20095June 20095May 20093April 20093March 20093February 20091January 20092November 20082October 20082September 20081August 20083July 20081January 20082

Featured Articles

Contact us