Licenses – what does your business need?

You must operate your business with the correct licences and permits. If you don't, you could experience serious penalties.

Licences are required by pubs, nightclubs, bookmakers, hotels, restaurants, brewers, manufacturers, retailers, wholesalers, filling stations, convenience stores and landlords.

Director Suzanne Porter looks at how Wake Smith Solicitors provides a comprehensive range of licensing legal services to ensure business premises run safely and satisfy legal regulations.

She said: “The company has a detailed understanding of the UK licensing laws and offers pragmatic and commercial licensing advice.

“We advise both private and public sector clients, ranging from owner-operators to public limited companies, and deal with applications regarding specific on premise activities, entertainment and alcohol licensing legal services.

“Wake Smith also works closely with Local Licensing Authorities as well as health and safety, trading standards and other authorities in the UK.

“Having the correct paperwork can help maximise the effectiveness and profitability of a business.”

She added: “Wake Smith offers a full service across a wide range of licensing law issues, whether you are a public sector organisation, a private operator, an interested party or an educational establishment.

“We recognise that UK licensing law is constantly changing, making the entertainment and leisure industry a challenging environment for both existing operators and new enterprises.”

Advice on the Licensing Act 2003, includes:

  • Applications for a new premises licence (formerly known as "liquor licences" under the previous regime) for the sale of alcohol and/or other regulated entertainment
  • Advice on the licensing objectives and mandatory or appropriate conditions
  • Variation applications amending an existing premises licence
  • Transfer applications to transfer an existing premises licence
  • Applications for temporary event notices
  • General advice on the offences under the Licensing Act 2003 (for example: the duties of a designated premises supervisor, the obligations of a licensee and children and alcohol).

Suzanne Porter has more than 15 years legal experience in licensing issues including advice on personal and premises.

For further information and advice on licensing issues contact Suzanne at or call 0114 224 2178.

You may also like...

0 Response

Leave a Reply

This thread has been closed from taking new comments.